As we enter the prime days of fall, it’s tempting to let healthy habits slide. However, it is always critical to be mindful of your health.
Fall Health Tips from Dr. Chris & Nancy Michlin
Follow these tips from Dr. Chris Michlin and Certified Health Coach Nancy Michlin to stay healthy and have fun all year long:
- Practice sun safety. Here in Fort Worth, we know the fall sun can still be a real scorcher. Whether you’re biking on the trails or taking a walk through the neighborhood, protect your skin from harsh UV rays with a sunscreen rated SPF 15 or higher. Avoid extended midday exposure (between 10 am and 4pm when the sun’s rays are strongest) and reapply after swimming. Sunshine vitamin D may protect against a host of diseases such as heart disease, and breast and prostate cancers. Experts agree that going outside for30 minutes in the midday sun will produce enough Vitamin D in your body for the day. Be mindful of your health and your own body, and do not go out into the sun more than needed.
- Eat organic. Processed foods can make you feel tired and sluggish. Skip genetically modified foods at the grocery store and visit a local farmer’s market for seasonal fresh fruits and veggies like peaches, berries, zucchini and heirloom tomatoes.
- Stay active. Heat any time of year can wreak havoc on your usual workout routine; it can be hard to find the motivation to go for a run when it’s 90 degrees outside! Beat the heat by getting up early to run, go for a walk in the neighborhood, or take the kids hiking.
- Maintain proper spinal alignment. Your spine is the body’s foundation. When it is correctly aligned, your entire body can function in a state of harmony and wellness. Atlas adjustments start with the top vertebrae in the spine, the top “link” in the spinal column, and restoring correct alignment from the top down.
- Safely manage stress. Between hectic family vacations, shuttling the kids to and from after-school activities, and hosting out-of-town guests, back-to-school schedules can be pretty stressful. Consider adding a hatha yoga class to your weekly exercise routine to improve your mind-body connection and naturally reduce stress. No time for a weekly yoga class? Practice meditation- which can be done anywhere, anytime.